Monday, July 13, 2009

Sunday dinner

I really like to cook. I just don't have much time... nor do I have the quiet ambiance I need in order to concentrate. I have been known to mix the wrong ingredients together. I have also been known to use the wrong measurements. With two small children around, "cooking" usually amounts to baked/grilled chicken breast, a canned vegetable and rolls. That's pretty sad, but hey - it's better than the drive thru, right?

My mother-in-law is known for her Sunday Dinners. They are legendary. And she cooks Sunday Dinner every week without fail. I definitely miss them from our days of living in Maine, but my waistline is smaller without these rich meals!

She cooks everything from scratch.... like stuffed shells...
Lasagna...
Baked chicken with homemade mashed potatoes...
Oh... and Chris' all-time favorite, Boston Cream Pie.
Uh... yeah, I tried to make this dessert for Chris' birthday the first year we were married. That was the year I discovered that baking soda and baking powder are two different things. Let's just say ... disaster... and leave it at that. I haven't tried to make this dessert since.

So once in a blue moon, I decide to cook a Sunday Dinner. I cannot do it without Chris, though. He helps with every dish, making sure I'm measuring correctly, not using sugar when it calls for salt, etc. Yesterday, we made Sunday Dinner.

Feast your eyes on this:
Baked ham, mashed potatoes, gravy made from scratch, green beans, and rolls

I am super proud of us for trying to bring the LaPierre tradition into our home! The best part about cooking a large dinner? LEFTOVERS! No cooking all week and ham sandwiches for every meal!

No comments: