Thursday, July 23, 2009

Friends, Part 2

Friends may not always be people who live in the same city. Sometimes they live in another city or another state. These friends of mine live in Dallas, the place Chris and I called home for five years. We have a very unique bond.

In 2001, Chris and I got married and moved to Dallas - a place where I knew no one. I accepted a job as a television producer at Texas Cable News. After a few months of being in Dallas and only knowing co-workers, I decided to reach out and find an alumnae chapter of Phi Mu. I decided to attend the Kick Off party that August and over the next few years became part of what is now referred to as The Great Eight: me, Angela, Kelley, Kelly, Kacy, Mercedes, Francine, and Stephanie.

We started having kids about the same time. We attended the alumni events together. We quickly formed a once-a-month girls night out event. Our husbands played poker together.

Then at our Christmas get together in 2006, I delivered the news that Chris, Kennedy and I were moving to Shreveport. It was very hard to leave these girls, but I knew that we would keep in touch. Mercedes, Kacy and Francine drove over for my 30th birthday party in 2007. I drove over for a day visit with the kids late last year.

Despite the distance, we always pick back up where we left off. I may have only known these girls for five years before I moved back home, but I hope we continue to remain friends as the years pass by.

No comments: