Friday, July 24, 2009

Donating blood

I've posted about my intense fear of needles before, so it's no secret that I do not like them... not one bit. I don't know anyone who likes needles, but most people tolerate the pain for the end result - either medicine, IV fluids, or donating blood.

When Amber needed blood during her fight with Leukemia, I couldn't give because the blood bank had too much blood dedicated to her. After a few weeks, it expires. So they asked everyone who hadn't donated to wait a month and come back when her supply was low. Unfortunately, she did not make it a month.

Since her death, I have made it my mission to conquer my fear and give every eight weeks, which is as often as blood centers allow you to give. In March, I donated for the first time and was so scared that I couldn't get my heart rate down. After several pulse checks, I was finally able to donate and I didn't cry. I was very proud of myself. Like I have said before, I hate needles.

Lucky for me, a co-worker's wife works at Life Share Blood Center here in town and he hosts a blood drive on campus every eight weeks. It makes it extremely convenient for those of us who can donate. So since March, I have donated two more times. I am well on my way to getting my "One Gallon Donated" coffee mug (Ha!), which by the way takes eight pints. Five more to go!

I would like to brag on my mother here. She has also been a motivating factor. I think the blood center keeps my mom's veins on tap because she has been a regular donor for years. Anytime they are low, they call her and she drives there to donate. Today, my mom wasn't able to donate with me because she left town to see Tracy. But my co-worker George gave me a mug to give to her. "FOUR Gallons Donated!" Yes, four gallons. That's 40 donations. She's my hero.

So if you get a chance to donate, please do. If you cannot, I completely understand. Some people are not allowed to give because they lived overseas or have illnesses. Some people get sick or are afraid of needles. No judgement here folks! I spent the past 30 years of my life deathly afraid of needles! But I will say that I feel very proud to be able to give blood. One pint can save three lives. That's pretty cool.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

I just want to say thank you to each and every one who does give blood. I had 18 blood transfusions and 15 platelet transfusions in my 8 months of chemo. Jennifer, I am so glad you are working to get over your fear to save lives! You are one of my hero's!