Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Rainbow cake

I usually order a birthday cake for Kennedy's birthday. We go all out and get something really fancy from a bakery. Not this year. I am going all out on her party, so I have decided to make her cake myself. Remember what I said recently about my cooking skills? Baking soda is different from baking powder = new concept to me. BUT, I made Brady's this year, remember?
So I am feeling semi-confident that I can pull this off. I decide to make a Rainbow Cake. Look how cute!
Unfortunately this is not a picture of the cake I made. But it came out pretty close!
Inspiration for the cake: Kennedy's party will be a girls ONLY pottery painting party. Yes, we have started the "I-don't-want-boys" already. I think it's a good thing! So for each girl, I ordered an apron (which I will decorate with gros grain ribbon), and two ceramic pieces: a princess trinket box and a small tray. I will pre-paint one of each to use as a sample.
So since we will be using bright colors, I decided to attempt this rainbow cake. It's low-fat, which is a bonus for the adults, and the kids won't know the difference! I had such a good time making this cake.
After the cake was done, Chris and I weren't able to stack the two layers together because we had a little incident. Notice pretty cake in pans.And now... cake earthquake. Getting it out of the pan was difficult because it was so moist, it just wanted to fall apart. We know what to do next time for her actual birthday cake. That is why we do a test run!
Oh and also, when I make it for the party - I will use regular Sprite and regular pudding mix. I completely forgot that Susie cannot have aspartame! I took a huge hunk of this cake to her last night to help her bad day go away.... only to realize that it is full of aspartame. Bad BFF.
More on the birthday party to come.....

No comments: