Saturday, July 4, 2009

Firecracker 5K

Chris and I both enjoy running, but with the kids - it's definitely harder for both of us to fit weekly runs into our schedule. We rarely get to run together. So we decided to borrow DeAnn's double jogging stroller (thanks DeAnn!) and see if the kids would enjoy a run.... or a ride, I guess. Chris and I would do the running.

Side note: We tried taking Kennedy on a run in the neighborhood with us pushing Brady in our single jogging stroller. She can't run for very long and she can't ride her bike as fast as we need her to.

Chris graciously agreed to push them. (THANK GOODNESS! I have been running more frequently lately, but Chris most definitely has more strength than I do.) We calculated how much weight it would be. With Kennedy (45 pounds), Brady (25 pounds), and stroller (10 pounds) - he pushed 80 pounds for the 5K. I never would have made it. The heat, no doubt, made it tougher. He was such a trooper.
But the kids had a blast! We let Kennedy run the last tenth of a mile. Chris let her out of the stroller and she and I crossed the finish line holding hands. She felt the rush of everyone cheering as she crossed. It was her first race, complete with an official race number and t-shirt.

Brady enjoyed looking at all the runners and walkers. A ride in this heat requires a tasty post-race orange. He devoured it.
I hope she likes running like we do, but as long as she enjoys being outside - I don't have a preference what activity she chooses. But after today, I have a feeling she'll want to "run" with us more often now.... even if she spends the first 32 minutes of a 35 minute run riding in the stroller. And that's just fine with me. But let me check with her chauffeur Chris first.......

No comments: