Friday, May 15, 2009

Thumb sucking

I sucked my thumb until the 5th grade. Don't laugh... I can hear you laughing. It was something that was very comforting to me. I sucked the thumb on my left hand and with my right hand, I played with the tag on my "Pound Puppy." Anyone remember those? It wasn't until I got a retainer from my orthodontist to prepare me for braces that I stopped sucking my thumb. Don't get me wrong - it wasn't my choice! I might be a 31-year-old thumb sucker if it wasn't for that retainer. The feeling of my thumb in my mouth was never the same. So I quit.


When Kennedy was a baby, the "binky" would never stay in her mouth. She would always reach for her thumb and I didn't stop her because she was able to soothe herself. Anything to help my sweet baby girl self-soothe was just fine with me! She has slowly gotten away from sucking her thumb all day... just when she sleeps (and snuggles). She, too, sucks her thumb on one hand and on the other, plays with her "blankie." I hadn't thought about the "quitting" part....... until her first dentist visit a few months ago.


Dr. Marrineaux looked at her teeth and knew she was a thumb sucker because her teeth were starting to poke out. He suggested we encourage her to quit sucking her thumb.


Hhhhhmmmm.... now if someone had "encouraged" me to quit sucking my thumb when I was FOUR YEARS OLD, I don't know that I would just say, "Okay mom! No problem!" She's only been addicted to her thumb since birth! So, here's what we've tried:


1. "Kennedy, did you know that Dr. Marrineaux can see you at night. He knows when you're sucking your thumb, so you better not!" --- there's a smoke detector hanging from her ceiling and there's a little green light in it. We told her that was a video camera.


2. "Kennedy, if I see you sucking your thumb - I will take blankie away!"


3. "Only little babies suck their thumbs. You're not a baby, are you?"


4. "Do you want to look like a horse with buck teeth?? Then STOP sucking you're thumb!!"

Trying to rationalize with a toddler does not work. End of story.


So we've moved on to harsher measures. Please do not judge me if you're reading this. We sought out the advice of her doctor and she highly recommended this because her four year old daughter went through the exact same thing just three months prior.


Step 1: Wrap thumb in athletic tape. Not too tight, just enough so they can't get it off.
Step 2: Paint the bitter thumb sucking liquid on the tape. If you paint directly onto the thumb, they can rub it off, chip away at it, etc. Kids are persistent, especially if they want their thumb.


So last night, we tried this method. I had a bad feeling about it because Kennedy truly cannot help herself. Even if she gets into bed and says, "Mommy, I promise I will not suck my thumb".... she ends up with it in her mouth when she falls asleep. It's a habit we are committed to help her break.


So I wrapped her thumb, painted on the liquid, and told her it would taste bad if she put it in her mouth. We read a bedtime story, said our prayers..... and then I said a prayer that this would work. Not an overnight cure, of course, but at least the start of breaking the habit!


Ten minutes after we closed her door, she walked out into the living room crying. She wanted to suck her thumb..... BAD. And it tasted bad, she said. Daddy put her back to bed and thank goodness he did, because I have no will power with her. When my baby girl cries, it breaks my heart. He closed her door, walked into the living room and we hoped she would fall asleep without the thumb.


Unfortunately it wasn't the end of the crying.... this time, it was me. I think the reason I haven't pushed the idea of her letting go of her thumb is because she is growing up too fast. If my baby girl sucks her thumb, then she's still my baby! Chris listened to me cry and assured me that Kennedy would always be my baby girl, no matter how big she was.


Having Brady in the house makes me realize just how big Kennedy is getting. She will celebrate her 5th birthday this summer and I am amazed at the amazing little girl she's becoming. She loves to sing (and make up her own songs), dance, kiss her brother, snuggle with her mommy and daddy. I don't want to lose these moments with her. She amazes me every day.


So after her one small meltdown (and mine!), Kennedy was fine. She went to sleep without her thumb and woke up this morning extremely proud of herself.


Stay tuned for an update on Day 2!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

She is getting to be a big girl! But I'm proud of you for sticking to it and helping her break this habit, even if you had a little meltdown of your own. That just means you love her beyond measure.

And I laughed so hard at your number one line where you told her the smoke detector was a video camera!!! That is hilarious!