Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Our birds

There is so much to report with our bird family. I started this post yesterday, but ended up fighting the stomach bug (second time in two weeks!)

This weekend, our little bird family started showing feathers and wings were flapping. It was quite a site to see them moving around inside the nest. I was able to get a quick shot of them taking an afternoon nap together.

Unfortunately the next day, I found a hole in the nest and one of the babies on the front porch. It did not survive. I have no idea how the nest ended up with a hole, but I was so sad to see that one of the little ones did not make it.

This was the last look I got at them before this morning. I went out to check on them and found an empty nest. I'm hoping they were all able to fly away safely. Their "mama" did a great job of keeping me at bay. I could only get a few pictures before they took flight. Here she is, keeping watch over the nest.

I'm sad to see the bird family leave. I do hope another family takes up residence in the nest left empty in the tree of my front flowerbed. On the way to work this morning, I kept thinking about about these birds. I discovered the nest just a week ago and now they're all gone. The birds flew away to make their own families and hunt for their own food. My babies will do that one day, but it's a huge relief to this mama bird that I will have my babies in my nest A LOT longer than a week.

No comments: