Friday, May 22, 2009

Pre-school graduation

Our girl is ready for kindergarten! She graduated from pre-school last night and showed off her singing skills on stage with her fellow classmates singing "Deep and Wide" and "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes." The entire audience was in stitches over the graduation caps falling off during the "knees and toes" part of the song. This is Kennedy with her friend Avril.

I held it together through the ceremony and didn't burst into tears. I did, however, get choked up when they showed pictures of each of the graduates as a baby, and then slowly faded into their cap and gown photo. But I was a brave mommy and just kept snapping pictures and recording the big event on video.

It is amazing to see how much Kennedy has developed over the past few years. When she was 3, I remember her teaching at Noel Children's Center saying that Kennedy was doing really well with her math skills. They were counting M&M's out loud and doing small math problems. Well if you put candy in front of me, I'd do well with math, too!

But now, she can do some simple addition and subtraction problems in her head. She can write her first and last name, and the last name can be complicated! That capital "p" in the middle of a word is confusing to a toddler! She can also write mommy, daddy, and Brady. She loves to color and does a great job of staying in the lines. She can write her entire alphabet and count to 100. Before I know it, she will be bringing home algebra and geometry homework .... and I'll be in trouble because math is not my forte!

So the next step? "Big kid school" at Legacy Elementary. I'll really need to break out the tissues then!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

She looks so grown up!!! And so cute! I wish we could have been there for her ceremony... :(