Thursday, June 4, 2009

Summer Fun Run Series

Me and my awesome running friends are embarking on the extremely-hot-but-supposedly-fun Summer Fun Run Series put on by the Red River Road Runners. Susie, Ford and Eric ran this series last year, but I was on the verge of birthing a massive little baby (didn't know he was a boy) - so I missed out last year.

It's a series of 5K races every Thursday at 6:45 pm. Can you say H-O-T? Louisiana summers are brutal, so you can be sure that I will not be glistening; I will be sweating... profusely.
What's exciting about the series is that each week, the races rotate locations in Shreveport, a different park each week: Stoner Boat Launch, Ford Park, Bilberry Park, Bickham Dickson Park, Southern Hills, Mamie Hicks, Querbes Park, and Betty Virginia Park. Some of these parks I remember from growing up in Shreveport - but I've certainly never run through them.

I may prefer to run on a treadmill, in my air-conditioned gym, a fan blowing on my face, and at a pace I set (usually 5.4 to 5.6 miles an hour, 6.0 on a good song). BUT - I need to shake things up a little. So I am looking forward to the "tour" of Shreveport parks!

No comments: