Monday, June 8, 2009

Protecting the Earth

I will be the first to admit that I am not a tree hugger, but I am trying to do my part to conserve. We only have one planet, right?My parents have even gotten on the bandwagon. Shreveport offers curbside recycling and my mom is putting EVERYTHING in that bin. Yay mom! And her and my dad also drive Hybrid cars. Mom drives a Toyota Camry Hybrid. My dad drives a Tahoe Hybrid. It's funny because my dad makes it a competition for himself to see if he can get to work, to the store, anywhere, without the engine actually running. He tries to go entirely electric. He's so funny....

So I have decided that for every non-earth friendly act, I will do an earth-friendly act.

Non-earth friendly: My SUV. Chris bought me a Honda Pilot for my 30th birthday. I absolutely love it.

Earth-friendly: While I would much rather drive my big 'ol Pilot, when I don't have the kids to take to school (which is most of the time since Chris isn't traveling as much) - I drive the more gas-efficient 1997 Camry I had from college.

Non-earth friendly: I have electricity and air conditioning and love it, too. I did not build my house with solar-power or wind mills.

Earth friendly: We turn off all appliances, lights, fans, etc. when we're not using them. And during the day, we turn the AC up to 75.
Non-earth friendly: Recycling. Bossier doesn't have curbside recycling - booooo! When we lived in Plano, Texas - we had curbside recycling. It was awesome. I recycled everything! Newspapers, plastic bottles, cans, magazines. Our recycle bin was much heavier than our trash bin. But even if Bossier did have it, we live outside the city limits so that service would not be offered to us.

Earth-friendly: While I haven't come up with a complete recycling solution just yet - I do not buy bottled water. We drink filtered water from the tap and re-use any individual water bottles we do buy for water-on-the-go. And I take my daily Diet Dr. Pepper can into the office for the recycle bin in our building. All the cans collected are turned in and the money goes to athletic scholarships. Maybe I should consider bringing ALL my cans in? Hhhhmmmm....

Oh! And I also DO NOT use plastic bags at the grocery story. Even though it's a huge pain for the people behind the register at Wal-Mart, Target, wherever - I politely ask them to please use my recycle bags.
So I'm working on it... hope you are, too! It's our job to protect the earth!

No comments: