Monday, October 5, 2009

My cape is at the dry cleaners

This weekend, I tried to be Super Mom. I'm exhausted. Here is a recap.....

Saturday morning... up and at 'em at 5:15 a.m. to run with the Team in Training group. I opt for the wimpy run this week and only finish three miles. To be fair, I was running with one of our injured team members and she needed to reduce her mileage this week so she could test out her knee. She needed someone to run with, right?

I feel bad about only running three miles, so I go to the gym and do weights for 45 minutes. Then I head home, shower, breakfast, pack Kennedy in the car and head to a birthday party for our friend Ava, who turned two. Kennedy and I always have fun at birthday parties together.


At the birthday party, Kennedy jumps on a trampoline (she LOVES trampolines) and gets black stuff all over herself, her white socks, etc. So we quickly stop at home for a clean up before we meet our friends, the Arnold family, at The Revel. I LOVE the Revel... it reminds me of why I am so happy to be home. The Revel is a 'ol fashioned festival with food, music and vendors selling some of the most interesting and amazing home-made items. Of course there's face painting and other cool stuff for the kids, too.


After the Revel, run home and switch out kids. I leave Kennedy at home to play with friends while I pack Brady in the car and take him with me to the grocery store. He loves looking at all the people. After a 2-hour "adventure" in Wal-Mart, I head home to figure out what to have for dinner. That's the funny thing.... I came home with $125 in groceries, but what should we have for dinner? Ugh... the daily struggle. Dinner. Baths. Bedtime. Mom and dad crash on the couch and I start dozing off at 9:15 pm. I know... I know... PARTY, right? No.

Sunday - up and at 'em a little later, 7:30 a.m. Quickly feed the kids breakfast, throw on clothes, and out the door to church at 8:00 a.m. We go to the early service at 8:30 a.m. because it's less crowded, PLUS if we lay on the floor and start reading the paper or watching TV - we'll never get up and go.

Come home from church, start cleaning up the house to get ready for the week. Chris left for California this morning so when he's gone, everything HAS to be in order or I will go crazy. Neat and tidy kitchen, no toys on the floor, freshly vacuumed floors... you get the picture. In the midst of all the cleaning up, I also manage to iron for over an hour....


Then, Kennedy and I make two batches of rice krispy treats - one batch for her teacher, Mrs. Ward, whose birthday is Tuesday. We put it in this cute container. Precious! These are 1/2 fruity pebbles and 1/2 rice krispies. YUM-O!

If that wasn't enough, I decided to make a loaf of banana bread. I thought it would make for a quick breakfast for the kids since Chris is out of town this week. The easier I make it on myself during the week, the less likely I am to have a breakdown. Oh, who am I kidding... I will probably have one anyway about Thursday evening...

Then I vacuumed, Chris did laundry, cleaned the kitchen, struggled with the dinner plans... again. We settle on pizza (no dishes, no clean up). I managed to squeeze in a little research time for my class. Play with the kids. Baths. Bedtime. And then Chris and I, again, crash.

The trouble with the futile attempt at being Super Mom is that it is exhausting. And that leaves me no energy for my kiddos or Chris. So I will do my best to find that balance, which it seems I am always looking for. In the meantime, I think I'll leave my cape at the dry cleaners.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I don't own a cape... never will! You can't do it all, but I am so like you... I want to try!

The banana bread looks yummy. :)