Friday, October 2, 2009

Life Goes On...

I have had an internal debate for a few weeks now... about whether or not I should write this post. I decided to go ahead and write about it because it's not a secret... and since this blog is a chronicle of events that happen in my life and the lives of my friends and family - I'm going for it. It's just that it's hard to discuss this subject because we are all very sensitive and a little protective about Eric and his life. It's also awkward because while none of us will ever forget Amber, we all must recognize the fact that life goes on.

As we approach the one year anniversary of Amber's diagnosis and death, I am really shocked at how quickly the year seems to have gone. I remember last fall very clearly, even with a four-month-old baby at home. But the focus of this post is not to reflect on Amber's struggle with Leukemia; it's to focus on how well Eric is doing, one year later.

We all watched as "E" has slowly started laughing more, running more, enjoying his friends more... He started slowly removing some of Amber's things from their house. He sold her car to her family. He started joking around more. You can see the sparkle in his eyes again.

And now, just recently - Eric has started seeing someone. He is testing the dating "waters" and it is going well. There is a very long line of women who would give their right arm to date Eric, but he has been quietly talking to someone I've known for a while... Pam. I first met Pam a couple of years ago when Sky was doing my hair at a salon on Line Avenue. Pam had the booth next to her. When Sky moved to Texas, I was stranded without a Tony & Guy-trained hair stylist. (Side note: I am a hair snob. I don't trust just anyone with my hair. Being in Dallas spoiled me). So Sky recommended "Pam Pither." Don't you just love that name? I haven't trusted anyone with my hair since.

So how did Pam meet Eric? What's absolutely amazing about this connection between people is that it seems to have fallen into place the way it should be. Let me explain.

Susie's path crossed with Pam's at Louisiana Tech. They were sorority sisters... Although several years apart, they knew each other by name.
When I started getting my hair done by Pam, we realized that we knew some of the same people - such as Ford and Eric. Pam's dad owns the company that Ford and Eric work for.
Amber liked the way my hair was colored, so she started getting her hair done by Pam.
Within the last year, Pam divorced her cheating husband - so her and Eric have been commiserating about loss.

Our circles have been overlapping for a couple of years. It seems as though there was a natural progression for Eric and Pam to go on an official date... and they did. What will come of this? Who knows. Am I hopeful about the future of these two? Sure I am! But what I enjoy seeing is both Eric and Pam happy.


At Eric's birthday dinner this summer, he bravely invited Pam to join a large group of friends to celebrate. It was the first step in public for him and it seems to have gotten easier each time. That night, a cover band started playing the song "Life Goes On." My BFF and I looked at each other and choked back the tears. It does.

No comments: