Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

Mother's Day is my absolute favorite day of the year. I love it better than my birthday... better than Christmas.... better than the last day of a semester. It truly is THE best day of the year.


Because even though I tell my kids I love them every day....

And even though I give them lots of hugs and kisses every single solitary day...

And even though they drive me crazy from time to time...

And even when I show up to work with crusted boogers on my shirt... or can't get a sentence out to Chris because they interrupt... or never get to finish a meal while it's hot... or clean up their messes non-stop...

I know they were my creation. Yes, Chris definitely helped!! I couldn't have done it without him. But I am the one who carried them for ten long months, nurishing them with my sometimes-unhealthy-but-mostly-good food, singing them songs hoping they could hear me, decorating their rooms in preparation for their arrival. They are my little angels from God. I truly believe this. I was blessed beyond measure when so many women are unable to physically carry babies on their own.

Each one of my children has changed me.

Kennedy has given me an amazing sense of awe. She lights up a room when she walks in and I hope that my continuous encouragement for her to be anything she wants will help her into adulthood. She has such a warm and loving heart and I have watched her blossom into a young schoolager who loves to learn, draw, and smile as if she is the happiest child on earth. When she gets too big for her britches, I am suddenly blessed with a moment that let's me know she's still my baby girl. Last night when she woke up crying from a nightmare, I snuggled up next to her and saw the expression of her as a one-year-old. Part of me cried that she isn't that age anymore; part of me was greatful for the glimpse of the little girl who was once my only child.

And just when I thought my days of toddler snuggles were over with Kennedy, along comes Brady who has captured my heart like I didn't know was possible. Little boys know how to make their mamas melt. Brady has taught me that it IS okay to love two children... that love is not taken away from my Kennedy to give to another child. But that each child is loved in different ways, but BOTH loved equally.

So being a mother, while stressful, exhausting, overwhelming, emotional, challenging, and frustrating, is truly the most amazing job in the world. I love it more and more every day.

No comments: