Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Running

Running is fairly new to me. I started (and quit... and started and quit) when we were living in Plano, but only in the last three years have I run somewhat consistently. (Thanks to amazing coaching and the best running buddy). Obviously there was a break during pregnancy and immediately after I had Brady. My body wasn't ready to begin again until he was about 3 to 4 months old. After my half marathons, I've also taken short breaks... but I've always come back to it.

Here is the process for me: The first mile, I hate it. Then I get into a groove and I love it. The last mile = misery. No matter the distance, I struggle mentally to get through that last mile.

In the last year, Kennedy has started noticing when I put on my running clothes and she asks if I'm going for a run. I tell her yes, and explain that I like running. She has occasionally asked to go, but when I explain that I'll be running for a while - she decides that playing Barbies is much more fun. This weekend, however, she begged to go with me when I was heading out for a long run with Susie. Kennedy wouldn't stop asking to go with me, so I decided that it might be time to give her a chance. (NOT on the 6 mile run Susie and I did Sunday, but I planned to start her with a short run with A LOT of walk breaks).

Yesterday was a holiday, so we had the afternoon daylight to enjoy. I bought her a pair of shorts and a shirt she would be comfortable running in. She had sneakers cotton socks ready to go. When I asked her if she'd like to join me on a run, she smiled SO big... but before accepting, she asked what to wear. (Is it possible that a 5 year old could be so fashion conscious?) I gave her the new running clothes, laced up her sneakers, wrapped her hair in a ponytail, grabbed the leash for Zoe and off we went.

I gave her a few pointers:
1. Run slow so you don't get tired after only a few minutes.
2. This isn't a race, just enjoy it.
3. When you need to take a break, tell mommy and we'll walk and rest.

She immediately ignored pointer number 1. She thought we were racing to the end of the street. Of course she beat me because I was following the pointers!! I know for a fact that she didn't enjoy it after the first 1/4 mile. We took frequent breaks and talked. I explained to her that when mommy goes for a run, I keep going for an hour, which was 60 minutes. Time isn't a concept she gets yet, so I said it was the length of two Sponge Bob shows.

Kennedy: "Mommy, that's a long time!"
Mommy: "Yes, but that's what I like to do!"
Kennedy: (silence).... "Can we go home?"

Walk breaks included, she hung on for an entire mile. Awesome first run!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This had me rolling!!!!! "Two Sponge Bobs."

Love it!