Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Death of a Child

What is it about the death of a child that grips you to the core? Knowing that someone so small and innocent could fight so hard to live... and that no matter how hard she fights, the cancer will eventually take her life.

This was the case with a little girl I have never met, but when I learned about her from Susie last week - I cried at the news that she was being sent home to be made comfortable because there was nothing else the doctors could do. Adrianna was just two years old when she was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma last March. She went on to be with the Lord early this morning.

Seeing the innocence in this face hurts my heart in a way I cannot even explain. I do not know her or her parents, but I ache at the thoughts and feelings her mother must be feeling. As parents, we hope and pray that our children feel loved and protected. We do everything in our power to make sure they don't scrape their knees or fall off their bikes. We pray for healthy and happy babies.

But sometimes, life doesn't go our way. I don't know why this happened to Adrianna and her family. I don't know why any child has to endure this type of suffering. But I do know that I will squeeze my children tonight and thank God for every minute I have with them because I do not know what tomorrow will bring.

On a family blog for Adrianna, I found this prayer several times. I found it comforting:

May today there be peace within.
May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others.
May you use the gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content with yourself just the way you are.
Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.
Is it there for each and every one of us.

1 comment:

Deni said...

Wow! Definately makes you thankful for what you have. That family will certainly be in my prayers! I wish we could kick cancer once and for all!!