Thursday, January 14, 2010

Never a Dull Moment

We have a new friend to show off. Her name is Zoe. She's a 5-year-old Schipperke dog that belongs to our friend Eric. He gave Amber this dog just a few months after they were married, so of course I have a soft spot for an sweet pet that was my friend's. She loved this dog.

So in an effort to move on with his life and continue to heal after Amber's death, Eric is making some changes at home. When Amber was alive, she was at home with Zoe all day so she had lots of love and attention. Eric travels some for work, which makes it hard on Zoe.

Here is where the LaPierre family comes in. After seeing Zoe a few times at Eric's house and wondering how the sweet pup was managing alone, Chris and I talked about offering to take her in. I knew this would JUST be a discussion with Chris because he likes to mull things over. Me? Not so much. I act immediately, which is definitely a negative quality of mine.


Note: I am a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of girl. In my freshman year at LSU, I ended up buying a pet bunny rabbit (because it was SO adorable) and hiding it in my door room. After it bit me a few times and chewed on some of my clothes, I gave it away. I also got Chris a kitten two years ago right before I found out I was pregnant. See? Me = Emotional Decision Maker.


So one night last week at the dinner table, in anticipation of extremely cold overnight temperatures, Chris told me he worried about Zoe being outside and too cold. So in a moment of sheer compassion, Chris said out of the blue, "Why don't we call Eric tonight and see if Zoe would like to come here." People - THIS is why I married that man. He has the biggest heart, full of love - even for the smallest animals. I think in that very moment, I fell in love with him all over again.


Fast forward to last night and we managed to work out a trial run, which is VERY important for our household because we still have Roscoe (my angel doggie who will always be my #1 pooch) and the kids tend to be skiddish around small/active dogs. And when I say "skiddish" - I really mean completely freak out. So we agreed that we would test the waters first before making a final decision.


After a few timid minutes of introductions, we plucked the kids from our bodies and put them on the floor to see how they interact. As it turns out, Zoe is only hyper because she wants attention. The minute the kids started petting her, she was completely calm. Roscoe lost interest after he got a good sniff of her butt. Later that night, she snuggled on the couch next to me with her head in my lap.


I think we might have a 6th member to the LaPierre Family!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Well it looks like she will fit in nicely into the LaPierre household. :)