Friday, January 8, 2010

No electricity!

When there's no electricity in your house, you tend to realize how much we rely on having power to do the basic things .... such as turning on lights, blow drying hair, keeping food cold and our bodies warm!

So at 7:15 last night when the power went out, I went into protective Mama Bear mode keeping my bear cubs warm, safe and entertained. After calming down the kiddos, we shuffled to the kitchen in the pitch black house to find the candles and flashlights. It's a good thing I had a little common sense when we bought the house and stocked a shelf with candles, votive holders, and four flashlights (two big and two small).

I handed each child a small flashlight, which immediately lifted their spirits. At that point, they were brave enough to unclench themselves from my legs so that I could get out the candles and light them in the living room.

After things settled down and I found out that we wouldn't be getting the power back on for a while, I decided to go ahead and put Brady to bed. Kennedy came with us in Brady's room because the sweet girl didn't want to sit in a candle-lit room by herself. I don't blame her - it's eerily quiet!

To lighten the mood after Brady went to bed, I decided to have a little fun with Kennedy. She was getting chilly and was starting to cry for her daddy.

No ghost stories or scary tales here... just funny faces with flashlights.



After a good laugh and lots of hugs, Kennedy was feeling better and slowly fell asleep in my lap. The power came back on two hours later. Today, I am (electricity) grateful for Ben Franklin and his lightening bolt.
ps. Chris was in Atlanta and kept tabs on us by text messages and phone calls. Poor daddy worried about his family, but we managed!!

No comments: