Sunday, January 10, 2010

Catfish

Kennedy does not like to try new food. She has always had consistency issues with certain foods. (I don't blame her. I gag at the smell of oatmeal... flashbacks to my childhood days when my mom made me eat it. YUCK!) But from time-to-time, I make her try things. Last summer, she saw me cutting up an apple and looked at it with curiosity. I asked if she'd like to try it (uh, WHO doesn't like apples!?!), and she politely declined. I was in one of those moods and I made her try it. Guess what? Yup, she LOVED it.

So last night when we went with Nina and Papa to dinner at Cypress Inn (legendary seafood, especially corn fritters and catfish!), I ordered kids catfish plates for both Kennedy and Brady. Of course, Brady will eat pretty much anything. Thank goodness!! One picky child is enough! Kennedy's eyes got huge when she heard me order for her. I reminded her that she had tasted catfish before, but it had been a while. When we are with Nina and Papa, she tends to argue less so I used this as an opportunity to order her something that I KNEW she'd like, but might whine about. This was a HUGE risk because she could have sat at the table the entire night sulking, poking at her food, and therefore my plan would have backfired.

GREAT news: She LOVED it!! She ate more catfish than Brady, which is rare. My little man can pack away some food. But the funniest thing happened about half way through her meal. She looked up from her plate, face frozen with horror and with her mouth full said to me, "Uh mommy... is this CAT or FISH?!??!"

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I guarantee you that if her Uncle Trey had been there, he would have told her that she was eating cat.

Just sayin. :)