Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Race Report - Mardi Gras 1/2 Marathon

Four days before the big race, I started getting really nervous. It doesn't take much for me to get nervous, though, because my nerves set in even before the local 5K races. I didn't have all the confidence that my fellow first-timers had. I just wanted to finish. Secretly, I kept a time goal of finishing in 2:30:00, but I only shared that with Chris and Susie because I didn't want to be disappointed if I didn't make it.

Thursday night before I went to bed, my throat started getting scratchy. Friday morning when I woke up, the drainage had set in and I could tell it wasn't going away. I begged the doctor for a shot explaining that I was about to attempt my FIRST (you only get ONE first) 1/2 marathon. No sympathy for me. He sent me on my way with four prescriptions. I gobbled up nine pills and went to bed.

Then the fever set in, but this time - it wasn't me. It was Brady. So our plans to take the kids to Shelley's house in Baton Rouge on our way to New Orleans were quickly changed. Chris stayed home with Brady while I took Kennedy to Shelley's. My spirit was slowly fading because my biggest cheerleader would not be able to meet me at the finish line... and I was still feeling sick.

Race day arrives and after being reminded that this is just my "victory dance," the nervousness never showed up. I was so excited to be in a city I love with some of my closest friends and my trusty running coach/best friend Susie.
The course started and finished at the Superdome. We ran through historic New Orleans and down Bourbon Street, something I'd never imagined I would do. The first three miles flew by. Around mile four, I started popping my electrolyte jelly beans and getting ready for the first water stop. It was humid, so we grabbed water or Gatorade at almost every stop trying to make sure we stayed hydrated. After we left downtown, we ran down St. Charles towards Audubon Park - a beautiful path alongside the trolley and historic homes and restaurants. Spectators were cheering everyone on, holding posters, and ringing cow bells. It was an amazing feeling to be a part of something so great.

Around mile seven, we turned into Audubon Park and ran around the golf course and passed the Audubon Zoo. At about mile eight, I saw the first beer table. Of course in New Orleans, people were stopping for beer. No beer for me... at least until after the race. For now, just water and Gatorade.

Miles eight through eleven were a blur. I vaguely remember popping another package of jelly beans, but I do remember feeling really good. I was getting a second wind and there was not stopping me! One of our fellow teammates had to stop for a walk break, but I didn't want to break my pace. I was feeling amazing and stopping would have messed with my psyche. So Susie and I kept going.

We were heading back down St. Charles towards the Superdome, but the large number of spectators was dwindling. I remember jamming to my iPod and talking to Susie every now and then.

At 11.5 or so, we came to the last water stop. I chugged two cups of water and one cup of Gatorade. Susie and I walked for 15 seconds to get that last burst of energy and she looked at me and said, "Okay girl - let's go home."

And we did! The farthest I'd ever run during my training was 11 miles, so I knew the last two miles would be the hardest. They definitely weren't easy and I remember getting closer and closer to the booming music at the finish line. I kept glancing at my watch trying to finish in less than 2:30:00. We turned the corner and I saw the finish line. Susie and I grabbed hands and crossed the finish line together.
I cried. I laughed. I cried some more. It was an amazing feeling of accomplishment. And I can't wait to do it again.

Stats:
~ Official finish time = 2:28:44
~ Out of the 400 people in my age group, I finished 233
~ Out of all the women who participated, I finished 1,242
~ Out of everyone who participated (male or female), I finished 2,522
~ Number of participants in the 5K, 1/2 Marathon or Marathon = 7,500
~ Number of comments from spectators about mine and Susie's matching outfits (aka "TWINS!") = 14
~ 1% of all people will run a 1/2 marathon. I am part of that 1% now.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Yea!!! I am so proud of you! When is the next one? :)

Piratebobcat said...

Way to go!!! I know how emotional it is at the end...the culmination of all that hard work.

Now rest up and get ready for the next one! My sis and I are throwing around the idea of the London Marathon in 2010. You in?