Monday, February 23, 2009

Mardi Gras 2009

Brady's first Mardi Gras and Kennedy's second was a lot of fun. We started with the 1st birthday party for Queen Audrey and King Hank and the mini-parade. Each family was asked to bring a kid-sized float for a contest and if you know me, then you know I take these challenges seriously.

We were the Krewe of LSU with my kids and the float decked out in purple and gold. Kennedy and Brady both wore LSU jerseys and the entire group paraded around Emily's street on the corner of Kings and Albany. (Thank you Laura Weego for letting us borrow your wagon!) People who were lined up to see the Krewe of Gemini parade that evening thoroughly enjoyed our little parade. And you'll be happy to know - we won THIRD place for our float! There were probably 10 floats there, so I felt pretty good for my ... uh, I mean our ... win.

Brady, sporting his cute little bottom teeth, wasn't sure what to make of all this parade business. He liked people watching, but mostly wanted to be held. I did, however, get a good arm workout out of the deal. Would you believe that he slept through the entire parade? We were all standing about 10 feet away from the floats and he just snoozed away wrapped up in a blanket. He was so tired from all the action.
We were able to get a quick family picture in. The kids are smiling and laughing at Eric who is making funny faces off to the side.
And just like last year, Kennedy managed to get more beads than she could carry. After just a few minutes of walking around with these beads on, she looked at me with the saddest most defeated face and said, "Mommy, could you please take these off?"
We were all so tired on Sunday that we didn't make it to the Krewe of Highland parade. The kids slept right through it. But it was just as well because I enjoyed a quiet afternoon with the kids. Happy Mardi Gras everyone!

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Sounds like you guys had lots of fun. I love the "kid floats"...what a cute idea!