Friday, February 20, 2009

Childhood memories of reading

There is a blog I follow called the One Minute Writer. Being someone with a Journalism degree, who writes a lot for a living, blogs, journals, etc.... I like to see what others are writing about. So I check this blog often. I don't always take "one minute" to write about the subject of the day, but today I saw a topic that got me thinking.

"Write about a childhood memory related to reading."

I love books. I don't get to read as much as I'd like to, but I absolutely LOVE the way books smell... they way they look on a bookshelf. I refuse to turn down the corners of the pages because I like to keep my books in pristine condition. I think Chris may love books more than I do. I think he averages two books a month. He reads very fast.

But I don't have a lot of childhood memories related to reading. I do remember being in high school reading "She's Come Undone" on my bed and crying through the last several chapters. I remember being forced to read literature and writing book reports. Right now, I'm on the third book of the Twilight series. But I don't remember being very young and reading with my parents. It may have happened, but I just have a terrible memory.

In our house, story time is very important. Kennedy loves books as much as Chris and I do. We read a story every night before bedtime. That's part of our routine. When Brady gets older, no doubt we'll ALL pile in the bed together and read stories before bed.

I hope it will be one of their favorite memories.

No comments: