Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Back to Work

As my dear working-mommy friend Angela recently told me, "I don't want to live in a trailer in South Dallas.... so I work." My sentiments exactly. And not only do I work for the new house we're building, the big SUV I love and the occasional shopping trips - but I also work for me. I enjoy getting my creative juices flowing when I'm developing a new PR campaign. I thrive on being busy and crunching before my magazine deadlines. I like the feeling of accomplishment when I've finished a big project.

But.... all this doesn't make it any easier to hand my kids over to the daycare workers (who we really like, by the way!) I naively thought that dropping off Brady on Monday would be easy! I'd done this before with Kennedy, so mentally - I was prepared. But emotions are a different story. It took me 20 minutes to hand B to nice nursery ladies. And when I left, I cried. Not just a small tear rolling down my face - I had to reapply my eye make-up! But with the fantastic support of my friends and family, each day this week has been a little easier.

One day, I hope my kids will realize that I'm working to make our family life a little nicer. I hope they realize that I want to set the example for them that moms CAN work, if they want to. Women can be career-oriented AND be excellent mothers, too! But most of all, I hope my kids realize that more than any career - the BEST job in the world is being their mother.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

:) My sentiments EXACTLY!!! Being a Mom is the best job in the world! It's not easy working and wanting to spend time with family, but I believe, in the long run, it is the best thing for everyone.

Janie said...

I don't have kids, but I appreciate your outlook. I suppose I could change my mind when I get there, but I've always assumed I would keep working, and it's nice to hear your thoughts on the subject. You're doing a great job:)

Ford and Susie said...

you are such an inspiration to all working moms!