Thursday, January 22, 2009

History

I am teaching Kennedy about politics. She is like a sponge and wants to learn about everything she sees. She's is constantly asking questions, so in the past few months I have actively started teaching her about the basics of policitical science. I started by teaching her who our governor is and who our senators are for Louisiana. She gets little tripped up on Bobby Jindal, but she knows Mary Landrieu and David Vitter right off the bat.
For Christmas, I bought her a book called "Grace for President." I probably like the book more than she does, but the premise of the book is that while her opponent campaigns as the best man for the job, Grace campaigns as the best person for the job. Students in her class cast their electoral votes, just as it's done in a presidential race. It's a great introduction to how elections work.... (not to mention the bright, colorful pictures!)
So earlier this week, I DVR'd the inauguration of Barack Obama. I watched it live at work, but I wanted Kennedy to be able to see exactly who this man was. We did not discuss that he was the first black president because that doesn't matter to her. Kennedy does not see the color of a person's skin as being anything "different" and I love that about her. Our next door neighbors are a mixed couple and she adores them both. One of Kennedy's best friends at school is African-American. I will raise my daughter to recognize that all people are created equal.
So I pointed out who Barack Obama was... who Michelle Obama was (Kennedy commented on how pretty her outfit was)... and who Malia and Sasha Obama were. Kennedy LOVED the fact that the new president had little girls just like herself.
So I wonder if Kennedy retains the information I give her because sometimes her mind is somewhere else as we're talking. But the next morning, Kennedy ran into the kitchen and announced, "Mommy! I just saw Michelle Obama on TV!"
She was so proud of herself.... and I am extremely proud of her.

No comments: