Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sweet Roscoe

Never could I have anticipated the phone call we received while on our Maine vacation last week. (More on the vacation later...)

Almost exactly one year ago, we decided to bring Roscoe inside partially because I knew he was getting older and needed to be comfortable. And partially because I wanted Kennedy to warm up to dogs. He had his annual visit to the vet, a good bath and shave, and inside he came. He was soooo happy inside. We were happy to have him. At that visit, the vet said Roscoe would probably live another year. That was June 25, 2009.

On July 8, Dr. Hughes called us while we were in Maine to tell us that Roscoe died peacefully after he gave him something for pain. It was the most difficult news I'd received in quite some time. We were on the beach, the kids were playing and I was crying behind my sunglasses. I am crying even know as I write this post. I was not prepared to lose him and I didn't get to say goodbye. As I dropped him and his little sister Zoe off at the vet for boarding, I rubbed his ears and said "See ya next week, buddy!" Everyone says he knew how much I loved him. I truly hope so.
I was most worried about how to tell Kennedy. We opted to wait until we got home from vacation and I did the best I could concealing my tears while we were in Maine. My sis-in-law suggested that I tell her that Roscoe went to be with someone.... that night, after not sleeping well, it came to me. The only person Kennedy knew who has died was Amber. So, I told Kennedy that Roscoe got sick just like our friend, Miss Amber, and he went to be in heaven with her. And just like we were watching over her sweet Zoe here on earth, she would be watching over Roscoe for us in heaven. The explanation made perfect sense to her because while I sobbed through every word, she didn't shed a tear. She understood perfectly and said to me, "Don't worry mama. You'll see him again in heaven one day."

Roscoe has been through EVERYTHING with me. I mean it. Everything. I adopted him from the pound when he was just a puppy. I was a junior at Tech and really wanted a dog. At the time, it was really ridiculous to adopt a dog - but I'm known for spur of the moment decisions like that. He was abandoned with his mama dog behind a dumpster... at least that's what the pound in Ruston told me. Either way, I distinctly remember him being pounced on as the other puppies tried to get to me while I looked and decided which one to take home. I fell in love with him immediately. Thus began our 13-year adventure together.

He and I lived in many places together: a townhouse in Ruston, 902 Dogwood with Aunt Shelley and Aunt Susie, a few places in Maine, several places in Dallas, and then here in Shreveport. He lived with my sister for a while when we weren't allowed to have pets in a temporary apartment. He was truly a well-traveled dog.

What makes this so unbelievably difficult is that he was with me when I grew out of my college phase and into my adult phase. He was my companion when I had no one in Maine and we spent many nights in my dinky apartment together. He was with me when I met and married Chris and he helped us welcome our two amazing children into our family.
I truly consider Roscoe my first child. I raised him just as much as he raised me. When Chris would get annoyed with him for dripping his water from his water bowl or for pooping in the house, he would say "I can't take this anymore!".... my half-joking response was: "I've had Roscoe longer than I've had you. He stays."


Even Zoe misses her big brother. She sits at the back door and puts her head down... she paces around the house as if she's looking for him. We ALL miss him so much, but not more than his heartbroken mama. I love you!

1 comment:

Deni said...

Oh Jen!!! I'm so sorry! I know how you feel and I'm just sad that I've heard of so many puppies going to heaven this year (looks like we're getting old!). Sending you love as you grieve the loss of sweet Roscoe! He's having a blast up there with O'Brien, I'm sure telling the tales of us and our craziness, and growing into adults (and some more craziness!). Love you!