Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Maine Vacation 2010

My approach to this blog post will be slightly different. Rather than recall all the things we did, all the wonderful conversations, and amazing time spent with family - I'm going to share the things we learned while on our trip. Because we learned soooooo much, or at least I did, about my family. (I took 500 photos to prove it!) Yes, Chris' family is MY family, too. You've heard the saying.. "When you marry someone, you also marry the family." Well for some reason this trip made me more proud of that than ever before. We love spending time with our Maine family... if only Maine were a little closer to Louisiana.

So here, in no particular order, is what we learned on our Maine Vacation 2010.

1. Chris and I learned that our children are amazing on airplanes. They had moments of restlessness, but honestly - I even got restless. We had to fly from Shreveport to Dallas (40 minutes) and then Dallas to Boston (3 HOURS!). The LaPierre kids will be flying a lot in childhood, so we're relieved that they get the hang of it early on.

2. We learned that our children can sleep anywhere when they're THIS tired. Shorter naps for Brady and NO naps for Kennedy meant they were exhausted. They played so hard that when it was time to go to bed, there were no arguments. They slept together in the hotel room bed.....

.....and they slept next to each other in sleeping bags at Memere's house. Who knew they would cooperate like this??

3. Kennedy and Brady learned that they LOVE the beach. Kennedy loved riding her boogy board in the ice-cold water with her cousin, Kadence. (Kadence could be a surfer when she grows up!). Brady loved playing in the sand and chasing seagulls.

4. I learned that my sis-in-law Kelly is a force to be reckoned with. Actually, I KNEW this already. But I was reminded when she took her two shots like a man! So proud to call her my sis. :)

5. One of THE most amazing things we all learned is that my daughter is a closet daredevil. Yes, those of you who know her might be shocked. Believe me, we ALL were! When we spent one afternoon at Funtown, an amusement park in Saco, she rode ALL the rides she was tall enough to be on! When I was screaming with fear, she was throwing her hands in the air and laughing! She gets THAT spunk from her Uncle Matt....


6. Kennedy and Kadence learned that the BEST people to ride the scary rides with is their uncles.

7. I learned that at 32 years old, I can still have fun like a kid.


8. We learned that playing on a slip and slide is MUCH more fun (and FAST) when you squirt some Dawn on it. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!


9. We learned that even if it's not cold enough for a camp fire, you MUST light one on the Fourth of July. It's a LaPierre tradition.....

10. Kennedy learned what it would be like to have a sister... and I think Aunt Kelly would like to have a sister for Kadence. Maybe one day. :)


11. Kennedy learned that having a Memere is SO...MUCH....FUN. This Memere in particular goes swimming, lays in the kidding pool with the grandkids, makes all their favorite foods, and gives amazing hugs and kisses.

12. Brady learned that his Uncle Matt and Uncle Vik are truly kids at heart. They love to play with their nieces and nephew.


13. We all learned that celebrating the birthdays of the LaPierre grandkids is such a fun idea. Brady's birthday is June 12, Kadence's is June 28, and Kennedy's is July 30. What better way to celebrate than with an ice cream cake and presents?

14. I learned that our son is the most go-with-the-flow little boy and we are so blessed that he has Chris' demeanor! Because if we had two kids with my sporadic personality (Kennedy has enough for ALL of us), then we'd be in trouble.


15. Finally, I was reminded that God truly has a plan for me. He brought me to Maine to meet the most amazing man and my true soul mate. We have two amazing children and the most welcoming Maine family who loves us so much... even from 1500 miles away. How blessed are we?

2 comments:

Tracy said...

What a great recap of your trip! Two things... I love the look on that lady's face in the background when Kelly is taking a shot. She looks shocked! Also love the head shot of Brady looking through the playhouse window!

Deanna said...

I <3 that Chris still rocked an LSU shirt wwwaaaaayyyyy up there!