Monday, March 16, 2009

26th Birthday

Today would have been Amber's 26th birthday.... so it's been a somber day. I went out to her grave and placed some photographs of her and her friends. Yesterday, Susie and I went out there to clean up the area and spruce it up with bright pink flowers, her favorite.

It's hard to believe it's been four months since our friend passed away. I remember her memorial like it was yesterday... but as time goes on - we continue to heal. I pray for Eric. Kennedy prays for Eric every night, for God to give him a big hug.

Eric has become part of our family. Susie, Ford, Eric, Chris and I are like brothers and sisters, spending all our spare time together. My kids love their "extended family" and now I know that God's plan for me is to be here, in Shreveport.

When Susie and I were at Amber's grave, we talked about each other's funerals. It sounds morbid, but honestly - we were giving each other a check list. We told each other to make sure we looked good in our final moments on earth. We agreed to make sure we were dressed our best, wearing our sorority pins (Phi Mu and Sigma Kappa) and flattering colors. We also agreed that even though it would be extremely difficult to visit each other's graves - we will force ourselves to go and "visit" each other. It will be our duty to make sure our final resting place is always well-kept and dressed with flowers.

This is what best friends do. It's what Susie, Shelley and I will do for each other. It's how you honor the memory of someone you love. And while we know the physical being will no longer with us, but the spirit will always be...

No comments: