Monday, October 20, 2008

I wonder why...

My friend Amber got some unfortunate news yesterday. I don't even want to type it out. I am sitting here staring at my computer screen and looking at her picture. I don't know how to react. Leukemia.

She is so young and full of life and optimism and I only hope she will continue to remain that way while she works through this challenge in her life. It was amazing to see the support system in her hospital room last night. Her pastor and his wife, another friend from her church, Kandi & Brian, Ford, Tom (Ford & Eric's boss), Rebecca... and Chris and I took turns going to see her so the kids could stay at home. None of these people were relatives, but I heard her say a few times that we are her family.

That's the kind of group we are. We call ourselves the SneStinBaLas - Sneeds, Stinsons, Sabalas, and LaPierres. We aren't just friends who get together to watch football games and cook out. We are there for each other in times of need. When I was 9 months pregnant and Chris was out of town, this group came to my rent house and helped me clean up from the flood that ruined a lot of our belongings. When one of the girls in our group had a miscarriage, we were a shoulder to cry on as she coped. We help each other move into new homes, install tile in bathrooms, and shop for new jeans. My kids love every one of them and they love my kids as if they were their own.

Life is not fair. I know that. Bad things happen to good people, but I still wonder why.

Please keep Amber and Eric in your prayers.

No comments: