Thursday, December 4, 2008

Holidays

For the past two years, the holidays have not been enjoyable. Last year, we were renting a house that was small, old and extremely cold. I know that a house is not just about four walls... it's about what's inside. But with half our belongings in storage and one bathroom for three people (one of which was pregnant) - it made it difficult to celebrate. The year before that, we were preparing to move to Shreveport, so it was our last season in the first house Chris and I bought together. It was very emotional and I cried... a lot.

This year, I cannot contain my excitement. We have moved into our freshly-built home, have done some of the decorating and it is BURSTING with energy and life from our two healthy children and their mommy and daddy who love them more than anything.

To start the season, Kennedy celebrated Thanksgiving with her class at pre-school with an "Indian Child" program.

The day after Thanksgiving, we pulled down our Christmas decorations and got to work! Kennedy enjoyed putting up the ornaments and she even has her own hot pink Christmas tree in her room. She feels very special having her own little tree with tiny ornaments on it. A tradition that Chris and I started when we got married was to give each other an ornament every year that is personal. So each year when we put up the tree, we like looking back at the ornaments we bought each other. We are continuing the tradition with the kids, buying an ornament for them as well. So our tree doesn't have a theme or all matching ornaments, but that's why I like it. It's a hodge podge of ornaments that are sports related, have cartoon characters on them and many homemade ones, too.

And then there's the baking.... I don't cook very much. My idea of cooking is throwing a chicken breast in the skillet and boiling pasta to go with it. In my mind, that's a home cooked meal! So baking is something that is a little more challenging for me. I didn't know there was a difference between baking powder and baking soda until a few years ago.

Nonetheless, I try to do some holiday baking. This year, I made Candy Cane Puffs... and actually, they're pretty good!

And last, but certainly not least - this time of year means sports. LSU football in particular. Usually we're headed to a big bowl game, but the Tigers haven't done so well this year. But despite their season, their littlest fan... is still a fan.So the holidays this year are starting off very well. I cannot wait to share many Christmases with my family in our home... making memories that will last our lifetime.

No comments: