Monday, August 9, 2010

In lieu of gifts.....

For Kennedy's birthday party this year, I wanted to try something different. My sweet (slightly spoiled) daughter has everything she could ever want ... and YET - on many occasions, she asks for more. No matter what store we're in, she wants me to buy her something. We could be in a TIRE store and she'd ask for a pack of gum or candy.

(I suppose this is my fault because I like to buy her things now and then. But I guess I have been doing this too much lately. Shame on me.... )

So to help teach my daughter to have a giving heart, we decided to take a card from the Arnold playbook. I gently encouraged Kennedy to select an organization of her choice and on the birthday invitations, we asked that in lieu of gifts, her guests bring an item to donate.

At first, she was confused by the gesture. I had to explain that there are people out there that don't have toys. At this statement, her face dropped. She couldn't believe that there were people who (**gasp**) didn't have toys! That's all it took. My sweet girl understood what she needed to do. So we brainstormed together to determine WHO to donate to.

...School supplies for kids who don't have money to buy them...
...Basketballs to the YMCA...
...Baby supplies to the Providence House...
...Sports equipment to Rock Solid...

"Rock Solid?! Oh yes mom!! Pleeeeeease!"

Kennedy has spent several weeks at Rock Solid this summer, which is a non-profit, Christian-based camp for kids. They swim, play basketball, soccer, do craft projects. They do not sit in front of the TV or watch movies; they are not left to sit in a room with nothing to do; they play, play, and play some more. She LOVED it.

So we asked our guests to bring sports equipment like soccer balls, basketballs, or sunscreen, hula hoops, and bubbles.


Then, Kennedy and I packed it up and brought it to Shelley McMillian, who is one of the most amazing women I've met. She has such a sweet spirit and loves the kids who come to her camp. She is a dear friend of my mom's, which makes her even more amazing in my eyes.

I am so proud of Kennedy for taking on this idea and embracing it with all her little might. I think that giving heart is well on its way!

1 comment:

Controlling My Chaos said...

I did the same thing with my girls this year. They both accepted donations for our local animal shelter and I was pleasantly surprised by how much they got into it. The bonus was not having more toys that we didn't need. We'll definitely do it again.