Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Big kids = big beds

Since Kennedy is starting first grade this year, we knew the REAL homework would begin. And while I love our home (love, love, LOVE it) - the only downside is the small bedrooms for the kids. They're not TINY, but they don't have a lot of room for furniture. Once you fit a double or queen bed and a dresser, there's not much more room to play.... or put in a desk for homework. So we decided to get Kennedy a loft bed. You know... the kind that has the bed on top and desk underneath?

So we surprised her with this bed and she gladly helped her daddy put it together. Chris said she was a big help and he even let her screw in some of the pieces. She LOVES to help.

With Kennedy's queen bed now available, we decided to move it into Brady's room and skip the toddler phase of his bed and go right to the big boy bed. The ONLY reason I thought this might work (meaning Brady staying in bed) is because he gladly slept on a double bed with Kennedy when we were on vacation.
It seems strange to me that he (who just turned two this summer) went straight from a crib to a queen bed. But folks - let me tell you, it was the easiest transition. He does not get out of bed! Now, I must confess that he doesn't go down EASILY ... with ME! With Chris, he lays down, says "Night night, Daddy" and talks himself to sleep. With me, it's all tears and "Mommy, sleep here. Lay down." I have to get Chris in there every time.

But as much as I'd love for him to go right to bed, it's sweet knowing that he still wants his mommy. At least one of my kids does!



And so as Kennedy starts first grade and Brady moves up to a big boy bed, I'm happy about the contentment of my family... but I'm also watching them grow up soooooo incredibly fast. Could I please slow it down a little?

No comments: