Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Tale of Two Toenails

Remember my race a few weeks ago? Four weeks to be exact. Well it was, as I have previously written, my third half marathon in a year.
And yes, I enjoyed training for it with my friend Daniel, who had never done a half marathon before, and my usual running buddies Chris, Susie, Deni, Ford, and Eric.

BUT... I had the same problem this race as I did the previous one in Memphis. I get blisters under my big toenails and then they decide to fall off! Last time, the nail wasn't attached anywhere except at the cuticle area. I eventually had to just cut them off. No pain, people! Just sweet relief because I could wear closed-toe shoes again.

Well, as I suspected when my nails began to feel strange a day or two after the race - I had blisters under my nails. But this time, since we are quickly approaching flip flop weather, I was determined to keep the nails.

Who wants to see funky toes without nails in the summer?

But after snagging my nail in Kennedy's room one night while reading her a book, I realized that they could not be salvaged. If you get queasy at the sight of strange things, don't scroll down. My feet!??!

I will be forced to paint my nail bed and hope that no one notices. My friend did send me a link to a place where you can buy press on nails for your toes! Hahahaha!

After a four-week running hiatus, I decided that it was time to lace up again. Off I went on a nice and easy four miles.

The good news: my toes didn't feel a thing.

The bad news: I am REALLY sore. I won't be training for a long distance race for a while. In the meantime, me and my toenail-less toes will enjoy the short distances.

2 comments:

Kelley said...

You might need to go up half a size in shoes. Also, I've never had this done, but you can acrylic put over your toe nail and the nail salon. My pinky toenails are awful. I am so embarrassed to get a pedi!

Deni said...

Oh Lawd!! You did not post your toe pics! You are hilarious, but glad you've laced back up and gotten out there! I'm ready for some running convos, so hopefully soon! You definitely got to get those shoes right though, so you don't go through this again, I've said it once, I'll say it again, I LOVE to run, but I'm not sacrificing the toenails!! I gots to look cute you know!