Monday, December 21, 2009

Rash decisions

Rash decisions are not good. I make them all the time. I don't think things through and BAM! - we have a new car. Or BAM! - I'm interview for new jobs. I get antsy and just leap before looking. Luckily these decisions haven't cost us a lot of money, except for that time we went to test drive a Isuzu Rodeo and drove one off the lot.

I am trying to be a more rational person. I am trying to think about things before I act. Susie reminded me that I thoroughly thought about my decision to get my graduate degree. Good point. Thanks Suz. It's a work in progress.

But when I got my pathetic cholesterol results and BAM! - upgraded my 1/2 marathon to a full marathon.... that is one decision I didn't think through. Yes, I know I could finish. Yes, it's something I want to do. But I didn't think about entering a training schedule half way through. I've been running every weekend for months, at a minimum of six miles, but rarely get to enjoy weekday runs. It's a luxury I don't have with my night class on Monday night, Kennedy's gymnastics on Wednesday, and Chris traveling for work.

Some VERY WISE person reminded me recently that you "train your body during the week and train your mind on the weekend." Yes, exactly. And if I can't train my body during the week, I'll be miserable during the race. I don't do things half-ass. I can't. I think that's my daddy in me. Do it right or don't do it at all.

So, I think I've decided to do it right - and only do the half marathon.

I WILL do a full marathon one day... maybe after I finish grad school and the kids are older and can come out to the course and cheer on their mama. Until then, I think 13.1 miles will do just fine.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh I think that's a very wise choice! Besides, try not to look at it as ONLY doing a half-marathon... I mean, good grief! You are doing a half-MARATHON!!! That is awesome! I wish I could run to the mailbox.

DeAnn said...

You are amazing, even if you downgraded to a 5k, I would be proud of you for all you do! Maybe one day we can do our Full's together...and cross the finish line holding hands :)