Friday, August 7, 2009

Ode to New Balance running shoes

Dear New Balance TS2 1200,

My, oh my, what a road we have traveled together - literally. I never thought I'd wear out a pair of running shoes, but here we are at the end of our journey together. I bought you in the spring of 2007 as my first official pair of running shoes. You definitely served me well. I started running with you in my Couch-to-5K training program, with the help of Coach Susie. Just a few months later, I was taking you all over town to run 5K races. You helped me finish my first 10K in the fall of 2007. You and I were both sidelined for a little while when I was pregnant with Brady, but after he was born - we reunited and started running again.

And now look at you! Faded and falling apart.... but you've definitely lived a good life and taken me places I never thought I'd go. You helped me finish TWO, yes that's right, two half marathons this year.
But before training for another 1/2 marathon, I felt it was time to retire you. You see, my knees and feet need a little more support than you have now in your elderly stage. Don't worry, I won't recycle you. I'll wear you around town and keep you nearby.
Wait... what's that in the background?
Ahhhhhhhhh yes - sweet relief! Fresh, new, supportive shoes! Now - onto the next race!

No comments: