Thursday, April 9, 2009

My in-laws

I often feel guilty for moving south with Chris. He was born and raised in Maine and until I met him, he had no intentions of leaving the state he loves... the state where his entire family lives. I, however, never planned on staying away from the south because I am a "momma's girl" - I talk to my mom everyday. I left Louisiana to experience life, see new things, and live on my own for a few years before coming back home. I always knew I'd end up here.

I feel extremely blessed by Chris' family - his brother Matt, his sister Kelly, and his parents Monique and David. Never once have they ever given me a hard time for moving back to the south... with their son in tow. I've never felt uncomfortable around them, except when they play practical jokes on me... but I had to get used to that VERY early on.

(Quick side story: On my first meeting of Chris' family, I brought a dessert to the family dinner - strawberry shortcake! Fresh angel food cake, strawberries, and cool whip. A nice first impression, I thought. When I wasn't looking, Kelly and Matt - Chris' brother and sister, who are twins - took dryer lint, put it on the strawberries and accused me of trying to feed them moldy strawberries!! I was mortified!! I quickly learned to fight back, although that joke will always be the best!)

When we spend time with Chris' family, we always laugh, tell jokes, and eat (A LOT!). When we approached Chris' parents about flying to Louisiana to watch Kennedy and Brady while we were on vacation, they jumped at the opportunity to stay with them. We used Chris' airline miles to fly them here, so all they needed was spending money (for the gambling, their hobby!).

I wasn't worried about leaving my kids with "Memere" and "Pepere" (pronounced MEH-may and PEH-pay.. it's french). I knew they would all have a great time without the watchful eyes of mommy and daddy. Memere and Pepere could spoil the kids, let them stay up late, eat what they wanted, make cookies, etc.

When we got home from Jamaica, I was amazed. There was a pan of lasagna waiting for us with a fresh salad in the fridge. Brady had learned to walk a little faster, but still holding onto someone's hands.
Brady had also learned hold his own bottle and eat chopped up grapes and crackers. Kennedy had been a huge helper, baking fudge, pumpkin bread, and chocolate chip cookies... all wrapped up in the pantry for us. I was in awe!

I am extremely lucky to have such wonderful in-laws. Not everyone is as lucky as I am. I cannot thank them enough for watching the kids while Chris and I took a much-needed vacation. I am looking forward to our next visit... THIS time, we'll be flying north!

No comments: