Sunday, July 3, 2011

Warning: a little cheesy

Last week, Brady brought home this plant he planted and grew at preschool. It's nothing fancy... just a sweet potato vine.





But the more I looked at it sitting in my kitchen window, the more I loved it. I couldn't figure out why. Each day, Chris and I give it a little drink of water. And each day, I notice it has grown a little more.

After cleaning the kitchen one evening, I moved the milk carton plant off the window sill to wipe off the dust when I noticed it left behind a black mark on my sill. I was immediately frustrated because it looked like black marker. But that all faded as I looked on the bottom of the carton and read what was written: 6-13-11.

It suddenly all made sense. The vine was planted the day after Brady's birthday. It has grown and reached up toward the sun, looking for light and love... just like Brady.

And the milk carton wraps the whole package together. If it were any other container -- it would have been a cute little school project, but it wouldn't have the character and youthful feeling that the milk carton does. Kids drink from these tiny milk cartons at school, so it's perfectly fitting that this young plant, eager to grow, be housed in this adorable milk carton.

So here it will sit - in this carton on my kitchen sill under my careful watch - until it's ready to be transplanted to a bigger pot. And the thought of Brady ....uh, I mean, the plant... growing up and moving to the next phase of life makes me stop and appreciate every precious moment of today.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: